Re: [SLE] Is there a "find file on system" command?
  • From: Jim Sabatke <jsabatke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 19:53:56 -0500
Doug McGarrett wrote:
The subject says it all. There was even a 3rd-party command in DOS (whereis) which would search the system for a file name, regardless of its directory. I have never been able to find such a program on Linux.

"locate" is really useful and quick. I think it's in the findutils package. You'll need to run "updatedb" to use it.

You can also use "find" as in "find <directory> "*file"

--
Jim Sabatke
Hire Me!! - See my resume at http://my.execpc.com/~jsabatke

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.