Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.0 vs. 9.1?
  • From: Matthew <startux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 16:46:51 -0700
On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 12:25, Fortean wrote:
> On Friday 14 May 2004 20:10, Frederic Soulier wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 19:52, Fortean wrote:
> > > Hi Preston,
> > >
> > > To be perfectly honest, I think Suse is not the way to go if you want
> > > Gnome on the desktop. It is adequate, it works, but Suse is a mainly KDE
> > > distribution. I was in the exact same place you are now, however, and
> > > ever since I changed Gnome for KDE and Evolution for Kontact, I haven't
> > > been happier. So if you are willing to do the same go ahead, Suse is for
> > > you. Otherwise, if you are happy enough with Gnome as it is, stay with
> > > Fedora.
> >
> > Having said that I believe Novell with their Ximian acquisition is
> > likely to push a lot more for Gnome stuff I guess.
> >
> True, and I believe that they will be the ones to truly unify the Linux
> desktop - however, Suse 9.1 Pro is a very KDE-based distro. Gnome is an
> afterthought, I guess it's only there so that reviewers aren't complaining of
> its not being there...
>
> 011

Cannot remember a version of SuSE where its not been there. The only
complaint I have heard from reviewers on 9.1, which is not that much of
a complaint really, is that the version of Gnome shipping is Gnome 2.4,
not 2.6. 2.6 came out too late to be included.

Have Gnome installed, just have not yet checked it out :).

Matt

< Previous Next >