SCSI, burning CD's and resmgr
  • From: David Krider <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 11:58:01 -0500
I struggled for several hours configuring my new 9.1 system to burn CD's
through K3B as a normal user. It all comes down to "resmgr", which,
unfortunately, has almost non-existent *usable* documentation. The
bottom line is that you may need to edit /etc/resmgr.conf. The trick is
the "paride" and "scsi" options. I realize that I'm probably in the
minority on this list, but I have mostly-SCSI systems. If the CD drives
that you're wanting to use for reading and burning are SCSI, you'll need
to make sure that resmgr.conf has "scsi" on the line instead of "paride"
(which is probably a safe assumption most of time). For instance, the
relevant section from my conf file is:

add /dev/cdrom desktop paride
add /dev/cdrom1 desktop paride
add /dev/cdrom11 desktop scsi
add /dev/cdrecorder desktop
add /dev/dvd desktop scsi
add /dev/dvd1 desktop paride
add /dev/sr0 desktop
add /dev/sr1 desktop
add /dev/sr2 desktop
add /dev/sr3 desktop

I actually do have an IDE "cdrom", but I don't have a "cdrom1". The
"cdrom11" and "dvd" are both SCSI, and burning with K3B wouldn't work
until I added the "scsi" option to them both. (Or changed the option, as
the case may be; I've already forgotten.)

Just a tip, since it cost me so much time.

Regards,
dk
--
David "Dunkirk" Krider, http://www.davidkrider.com
Acts 17:28, "For in Him we live, and move, and have our being."