Re: [SLE] How's SuSE 9.1? Any fix for the php/mysql problem?
  • From: David Krider <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 11:51:40 -0500
On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 11:03, Preston Crawford wrote:
> I'm a former SuSE user, current Fedora user. I'm thinking of switching.
> I switched from SuSE to Fedora after 8.2, mostly because I was afraid
> (after the Novell purchase) that the licensing for SuSE Pro would change
> abruptly and thus SuSE would be a dead end.

Why would you think that? All the talk on the usual locations were
surmising that Novell had an opportunity to fill the gap left by Red
Hat's nonsense, and they've fulfilled all expectations.

> This has turned out not to
> be the case and I'm kind of getting antsy about upgrading every 5 months
> or whatever with Fedora, so I'm wondering how SuSE 9.1 is? Should I
> consider it?

Absolutely. Maybe this belongs on a advocacy list, but that's exactly
why I gave up on Red Hat. Come on back to 2-year support lifetimes.

> Did they fix the problem where mysql isn't compiled as an
> option with PHP?

I don't know what you mean here. I have a couple of web apps that use
PHP and MySQL on 8.2.

> And a final question, would it be better to go with 9.0
> for any reason? Having used Fedora for the last few months I'm loathe to
> switch, mostly because I've come to really enjoy using newer versions of
> Gnome, Epiphany and Evolution. So I hate to "downgrade", but I want a
> stable system and some of what I'm hearing about 9.1 isn't good.

Every review I've seen has given the new release high marks. Nothing
earth-shattering, but solid. Where are you reading the negative
comments?

I'm in the same boat as you: I'm all about Gnome apps, specifically
Evolution, Galeon, and Gaim. If you want true spit-and-polish on your
Gnome environment, staying with 9.0 with Ximian desktop would be a fine
choice as well. Me? I can't wait until Evolution 2.0 with XD 3 (or
whatever it will be). I saw somewhere (can't remember where offhand)
that Evo 2 will be released this summer. I'm simply hoping that this
coincides with a new XD release.

Regards,
dk