Re: [SLE] Loading module for network card - 3c509
  • From: Fergus Wilde <fwilde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 15:59:31 +0100
On Friday 14 May 2004 15:16, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Friday 14 May 2004 10:00 am, Fergus Wilde wrote:

> > > I wonder if it is an IRQ problem. I notice in my /etc/modprobe.conf
> > > that for the 3c509 it calls for irq=10. Wonder if you could add that
> > > when doing the modprobe.
> >
> > Could be - though there have been no changes in the hardware since SuSE
> > 6.2, and from there to 9.0 it installed OK, so it's hard to see why an
> > irq issue would arise now ... the module loads, interestingly, if you
> > start yast and then click on 'network devices' ...
>
> What I was (trying to) say was that since you are loading it manually, you
> may not be providing the same information or options as the system would
> had it picked up the device at install. Hard to say why it didn't on the
> install; that's a pretty common nic.

I'm with you, Bruce, and thanks - I'm not coming over clearly, I fear, I mean
it loads alright when you open the section in Yast, without passing any
additional info to the module. I don't know whether locking the machine by
doing modprobe 3c509 was a one-off or not ... experiment would appear unwise,
in that I don't fancy locking it up again. You don't happen to know the line
I need to put in /etc/modprobe.conf, I suppose?
Cheers, thanks for taking so much trouble,
Fergus

--
Fergus Wilde
Chetham's Library