Re: [SLE] Loading module for network card - 3c509
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 10:16:41 -0400
On Friday 14 May 2004 10:00 am, Fergus Wilde wrote:
> On Friday 14 May 2004 14:21, Bruce Marshall wrote:

> > > Thanks Bruce, I should have said 'I did check to see if any eth0 module
> > > was loaded first' - no, there isn't.
> >
> > I wonder if it is an IRQ problem. I notice in my /etc/modprobe.conf
> > that for the 3c509 it calls for irq=10. Wonder if you could add that
> > when doing the modprobe.
>
> Could be - though there have been no changes in the hardware since SuSE
> 6.2, and from there to 9.0 it installed OK, so it's hard to see why an irq
> issue would arise now ... the module loads, interestingly, if you start
> yast and then click on 'network devices' ...

What I was (trying to) say was that since you are loading it manually, you may
not be providing the same information or options as the system would had it
picked up the device at install. Hard to say why it didn't on the install;
that's a pretty common nic.

> Thanks for the thought.

> > > --
> > > Fergus Wilde
> > > Chetham's Library
> > > Long Millgate
> > > Manchester
> > > M3 1SB
> > >
> > > Tel: +44 161 834 7961
> > > Fax: +44 161 839 5797
> > >
> > > http://www.chethams.org.uk
> >
> > --
> > +------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >-- --+ + Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI
> > 05/14/04 09:21 +
> > +------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >-- --+ "QUICK!!! Act as if nothing's happened!"
>
> --
> Fergus Wilde
> Chetham's Library
> Long Millgate
> Manchester
> M3 1SB
>
> Tel: +44 161 834 7961
> Fax: +44 161 839 5797
>
> http://www.chethams.org.uk

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 05/14/04 10:15 +
"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse."