Re: [SLE] New kernel install
  • From: Richard Atcheson <ratcheson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 06:10:27 -0500
On Thursday 13 May 2004 07:00 pm, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 19:48, Anders Johansson wrote:
> > On Friday 14 May 2004 01.48, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> > > What do I need to do, prior to rebooting, after a new kernel install?
> > > As I'm using grub for a bootloader, would I just run 'mk_initrd'? The
> > > kernel is from kernel-of-the-day via an apt-get dist-upgrade.
> >
> > A quick prayer might be in order :)
> >
> > Yes, all you need to do is a mk_initrd, but remember that the kotd
> > kernels are frequently broken. You'd do well to keep a) a rescue CD, and
> > b) the older kernel rpm around (if you installed the kotd with an
> > upgrade, the old kernel will now be gone)
> >
> > After the reboot you will need to reinstall the nvidia driver, if you
> > have such a card
>
> Thanks Anders. Good to know. Is there a better source for recent
> kernels that's a little more stable?

Listen to Anders! He knows whereof he speaks.

I didnt and I just spent three days trying to recover from the installation
and recompile of one of those BAAAD kernels. My recovery consisted of
putting a new hard drive in. Somehow my Reiser partitions got hosed and the
only way to recover is to reformat. and I didnt back up my /home dir first!
What a painful lesson, now if I could only learn from this! Hopefully I can
recover a bit of the data.

The sad thing is I went through several updates before I got the whammy! Wont
be doing that again! And all I wanted is a kernel that will let me use my
dma..

ra