RE: [SLE] double ip address on the same ethernet card: is it possible?
  • From: Riccardo Facchini <abief_ag_-suseml@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 03:34:33 -0700 (PDT)

--- Damon Jebb <list at damonjebb dot net> wrote:

> > From: Luca Mollica
> > before trying to configure the double ip connection, which
> > one do you mean by
> > "the first one" ?
> > Mayb do you mean Riccardo Facchni's advice to add a virtual
> > ethernet card with
> > eth0:0 ?
>
> Luca,
>
> I believe that he was referring to the method of creating virtual
> interfaces that I posted, where IP aliases are created in the
> ifcfg-eth0
> file, not separate files. I have read else where (possibly on this
> group, try a search) that the other method has some problems and this
> is
> the preferred one. Sorry, I don't recall where. To me deprecated
> means
> that although it works (the eth0:0 method) a newer, preferred method
> has
> been implemented (the one I posted).
>
> Having said this you may prefer to use the method recommended by
> Riccardo Facchni as it will allow you to define all parameters to
> meet
> your needs, not just the IP of the new interface. I would try both
> and
> see which works best for you and bear in mind that deprecated (to me)
> means that there is the potential for the method to become
> unsupported
> (i.e. not work) in the future.
>
> Regards,
>
> Damon
[snip]

I agree that the virtual interface method that i suggested is
deprecated, but bear in mind that "potential for the method to become
unsupported (i.e. not work) in the future." doesn't mean it will happen
in the near future (i.e. less than an year). Check Cisco routers,
they've been using it for years. Of course Cisco is not OS and is not
Linux.... ;-)

I'm not sure about what problems Damon refers to; I'll have to
investigate. I myself I'm using the trick at a home box I have for
experimentation, and it works perfectly well. I have a home IP range
different from the office IP range, and my office laptop has a fixed IP
address I don't want to change when I get home... so I added a virtual
IP address to the home box I refer to that mimics the SMB box I have in
the office... this way I was able to "feel" at "office" when I'm
home...

=====
Riccardo G. Facchini