Re: [SLE] Loading module for network card - 3c509
  • From: Marshall Heartley <marshall.heartley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 06:28:40 -0400

> Hello All - am I not right in thinking that if I am trying to load the module
> for the network card that the 9.1 install failed to set up (yes, same problem
> as before), the syntax would be
>
> # modprobe 3c509
>
> ?

That is the way that I do it and it seems to work.

> I had fondly imagined this to be the case, but the command appears to have
> been seen as an instruction to 'lock the machine solid and refuse to allow
> any keyboard or mouse input'.

Sounds like a driver conflict.

> Why don't I ssh in? Well you see the network card isn't recognised ...
> Bleh ...

Ouch! That sucks! I can relate. On my issue with Gnome, it freezes so
bad that I have to do a hard reboot!

Before you issue that command, list the modules already installed and
see if a module is installed already. If so, remove it and try the
modprobe command again.

Marshall