Re: [SLE] Silicon Image sil3112a: is this CRAP?
  • From: Hans du Plooy <hansdp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 12:22:17 +0200
On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 10:06, Silviu Marin-Caea wrote:
> Someone is asking me if he can install SUSE Standard Server on a SATA
> RAID volume on this controller. He has a Gigabyte 7NNXP board (nvidia
> nforce2) with the above chip.
>
> I found the statement below on the Silicon Image support site, and it
> seems like COMPLETE CRAP! Precompiled kernel? Non open-source driver?
> Another one? Wasn't nvidia enough? Damn, this is not a good trend.

I don't know about SUSE standard server (?) but I have this card. Under
SUSE 9.0, Yast picked it up but the module failed to load. In 9.1 the
module (silraid or something like that) loads perfectly. I just don't
have any discs to test it with.

The kernel includes the opensource driver. I know there is a driver
from Silicon image, no idea how it works.

--
Kind regards
Hans du Plooy