Silicon Image sil3112a: is this CRAP?
  • From: Silviu Marin-Caea <silviu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 11:06:35 +0300
Someone is asking me if he can install SUSE Standard Server on a SATA RAID volume on this controller. He has a Gigabyte 7NNXP board (nvidia nforce2) with the above chip.

I found the statement below on the Silicon Image support site, and it seems like COMPLETE CRAP! Precompiled kernel? Non open-source driver? Another one? Wasn't nvidia enough? Damn, this is not a good trend.

Anyway, I also found a document on linuxmafia where says that suport for SATA is present in kernel >=2.4.23 or >=2.6.0. United Linux 1.0 SP3 has 2.4.21 kernel with a good number of backported features, so can he install SLSS8 on the SATA drives? Maybe booting from the UL1SP3 CD?

Very sorry for cross-posting, but the slstd-e list doesn't seem to have many subscribers, so I'm hoping for an answer from suse-linux-e.

SiI3x12A: Serial ATA (SATA) Linux RAID Driver - Released

The latest Linux RAID driver for the SiI3x12A SATA Controller chip can be downloaded from the link on the right. These drivers support RedHat 7.3 and 8.0, Suse 8.0 and 8.1 and United version 1.0. The RAID management utility is included in the zip.

Comments/Special Instructions:

This is a pre-compiled kernel that has Silicon Image’s SiI3x12 RAID driver incorporated into it. Please note that until noted otherwise here, this is not an open-source driver and is therefore not officially included in any distribution or public kernel.