Re: [SLE] Sadly going back [solved]
  • From: Brad Shelton <bshelton@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 16:11:06 -0400
On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 11:34, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:
> L. Mark Stone wrote:
> > On Tuesday 11 May 2004 02:19 pm, Brad Shelton wrote:
> > | I tried... but I can't stand the heat.
> > |
> > | I am reformatting the 9.1 system and putting 9.0 on it instead. 9.1
> > | is just too much for me at the moment.
> >
> > Brad,
> >
> > Don't feel bad; I went back to 8.2 (with KDE 3.2.2) because 9.0 didn't
> > support my Adaptec/DPT SCSI RAID controller properly. The driver for
> > the RAID controller (dpt_i2o.o) wasn't even included in the 9.1
> > evaluation CD, so I have no idea if the regression(s) introduced in 9.0
> > were fixed in 9.1 or not.
> >
> > To me it seems that 9.1 has a few more serious issues than the SuSE 8.x
> > releases; at least based on my memory and the number of posts here on
> > this list.
> >
> > When it was first released, I happily bought the full boxed version of
> > 9.0 Pro (it's now shelfware), but I think I'll wait for 9.2 before
> > buying another retail box.
> >
> > As for our clients, one is about to start a SLOX implementation, and for
> > another where we are rebuilding an NT4 domain and hp servers with
> > Samba, we will likely use 8.2 Professional instead of 9.x as the base
> > OS.
> >
> > Best regards,
>
> Brad and Mark and any others willing to read,
>
> In my early days in the open source world I read many books and in one
> of them it was stated that linux distributions ending in odd numbers are
> normally code fixes for the previous even number, eventhough they may be
> marked as stable, they could exhibit issues that were not seen on the
> even version or expected on the odd version.

I failed to post a solved issue to this saga. I did post the results,
but never entered [solved] which of course it is.

I have 9.1 happily running on the new box which is going to take all of
my server functions off of my workstation so I can feel free to do with
it as I need.

Once I figured out that 64bit stuff doesn't install too well on a 32 bit
system.... `*8<>

so... mail servering, web serving, NT Domain print servering IPP
printserving, printer moved over... etc. should soon be completed and
I'll have my workstation back to do with as needed and not have to
listen to the complaints from the girls when they can't access the
printer, or email ,er whatever when I'm "playing" with my workstation.

9.1 goes on "like a glove" as Fred put it... once ya decides ta use dah
right stuff.

THanks for the post.

--
Brad Shelton On Line Exchange http://www.ole.net