Re: [SLE] RE:floppy format!!! I GOT IT!
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 14:31:15 +0200 (CEST)

The Wednesday 2004-05-12 at 19:21 -0700, Stephen W wrote:

> Such a little thing
> So much effort (trial and error)
> Who would ever think learning to format a floppy would
> be such a big thing?

You have click and shoot utilities on both gnome and kde for the job.

> When I finally got the spellings right
> When I finally learned i had to be ROOT to do it

Not really. Read the thread...

> This filesystem will be automatically checked every 29
> mounts or
> 180 days, whichever comes first. Use tune2fs -c or -i
> to override.
>
> Why check every 29 mounts ro 180 days...

Why not? :-P

> Why?
> What is it looking for?

Errors.

> What is "tune2fs" -c or -i to override

What is...? --> "whatis command"

cer@nimrodel:~> whatis tune2fs
tune2fs (8) - adjust tunable filesystem parameters on second extended filesystems

> (Override what?)

The number of mounts or days at which to check the filesystem. Ie, if you
what to check every two mounts, you would use "tune2fs -c 2 /dev/floppy"

> Tried to look in man for "tune2fs" (Duh, am I in the
> dark) and there was a lot about "journaling" (which
> when I tried to man journal - there was "no entry."
> On to Google...

There is a bit in mke2fs(8). If you add a journal you get an "ext3"
filesystem, which is probably unusable on a floppy. Actually, floppies
are usually formated as minix (more space) or vfat (for sharing data).

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson