Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.1 and VMWare Workstation 4.5 work fine (sorta)
  • From: Craig Altenburg <craiga@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 11:47:27 -0400
I, too, have VMWare 4.5 installed and running; but have not been able to get the virtual machine (running XP Home) to talk to USB devices.

Has anyone got USB working?

--
Craig Altenburg
On May 13, 2004, at 11:19 AM, Mike Coan wrote:

Greetings,

Just thought I would post to let people know that VMWare Workstation 4.5 runs
fine on SuSE 9.1. The prebuilt modules don't load, but it builds modules and
those run fine.

My setup is as follows:

Asus A&V8X-X motherboard
Athlon XP 2500
1G DDR RAM
nvidia FX5200 video card
120G ide drive (Maxtor I think, but don't remember
Combo DVD-CD/RW drive

I am running (sorry I need it for work) XP Pro on vmware. It connects to the
Windows 2003 server, and runs all apps fine.

I do get a message when starting Windows that the kernel is newere than what
is officially supported, and that there may be problems, but so far there
haven't been.

So far 9.1 has been completely stable under this setup. using YAST to install
the nvidia video driver worked as advertised.

The Samba client under YAST actually added my machine tot he Windows domain.
haven't had a chance to mount the Windows shares yet.

The only thing that doesn't work is sound. works fine on my home machine
which is a different chipset for sound. Will post my sound problems in a
separate message.

Mike
--
Michael A. Coan