Re: [SLE] zip 250 quandry
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 23:02:18 -0400
Fri, 07 Jan 2000 03:38:19 -0500 David Johanson wrote:

Mebbe you should consider checking your clock? Your previous posts also
came from over 4 years ago.

> >>/dev/hdc4 /zip vfat noauto, user, exec 0 0 and a mount point of /zip.

> >>In this new box trying to mount it gives a "mount: /dev/hdc4 is not a valid
> >>block device. If I alter /etc/fstab to change the zip identifier to the more
> >>common hdd4, I get "mount: /dev/hdd4: can't read superblock"

> >>Can anyone give me some advice as to what's going on?

/etc/fstab has to match the actual device position on the secondary
controller. If the drive is in fact jumpered as a slave and has a master
on the cable, then the zip must be /dev/hdd. It would include /dev/hdd4
only if the disk inserted was partitioned, as opposed to being formatted
as a large floppy, which is the more usual case with zip disks. If the
zip drive is the only device on the cable, then it must be jumpered as a
master, and it would then be /dev/hdc. Jumpering as a slave with no
master is illegal, and thus can be expected to be trouble unless you are
using windoze.

Unless you plan to boot from your zip, set the BIOS for it to NONE to
minimize potential for grief. There is no good reason for non-bootable
devices to be enumerated in the BIOS.
--
"Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every
opportunity." Colossians 4:5 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/