Re: Suse 9.1 installation on Adaptec Raid with dtp_i20 driver
  • From: "L. Mark Stone" <LMStone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 22:36:49 -0400
Joe,

You have the *exact* same symptoms as I do.

How do we get SuSE to believe that they have a real show-stopping issue
here? I had several emails exchanged with Hartmut Meyer, but he
refused to consider this an issue with 9.0.

I put these cards into several clients' servers. They are effectively
frozen at 8.2. I was going to put one of these family of cards into a
server for a SLOX installation. But now I'll have to look at
eGroupWare or Kolab on some other distro. I can't tell a client to use
SuSE when top-quality hardware that is supported just fine by every
other Linux distro but isn't supported any longer in the latest
versions of SuSE.

Not a good situation... If anyone reading this has contacts at SuSE
they think may be helpful, please send me a private email.

Mark

On Wednesday 12 May 2004 09:53 pm, Joseph Brockert wrote:
| Mark,
| I should have been more clear. SuSE 9.0 with the adaptec card
| installed to any drive configuration(raid or no raid) by loading the
| dtp_i2o driver at install time. And just like you it had "double
| vision" and when the raid setup
| fail I could not recover it. I then set it up without raid and it
| worked but still had "double vision". I ran with it like that for
| months, and like you I was unable to convince SuSE that they had a
| problem. My hope was that it would be fixed in 9.1. But as I see the
| problem is worse. 9.1 can't even find any drive configuration. Did I
| answer your question?....joe
|
| On Wednesday 12 May 2004 04:40 pm, Joseph Brockert wrote:
| | Are you suggesting that when the yast probe finds the the raid card
| | and and recommends loading the dpt_i2o driver that I say no and
| | continue on?, or is their a setting on the card itself that I need
| | to disable?....thanks joe
| |
| | On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 14:55, g.lams@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
| | > I had the same kind of problem on an "old" integrated and I had
| | > to disable i2o on the raid adapter. I also had to pass 2
| | > parameters at boot time but disabling i2o could be enough
| | >
| | > gael

| Gael,
|

| I have a DPT PM2865U3, which is pretty much an Adaptec 21xxS RAID
| controller with an Adaptec-ified BIOS on one of my personal
| workstations. I also put several of these cards in clients' servers.
|

| The card works flawlessly on SuSE 8.0, 8.1 and 8.2. On 9.0, the
| driver got "double vision" and saw at least one hard disk twice. Only
| way to install 9.0 was to create a hardware RAID1 array (but when one
| of the drives died, SuSE freaked, so now I'm back to 8.2).
|

| I was unable to convince SuSE that they had a problem here.
|

| What parms did you pass to the driver to get it to work properly in
| 9.0?
|

| Thanks,
| Mark

A Message From... L. Mark Stone