Re: [SLE] lockups
  • From: "S.R.Glasoe" <srglasoe@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 16:13:25 -0500
On Wednesday May 12 2004 1:46 pm, N1UAN Bob wrote:
> Hi
> Just wondering if people out on the list could give me some ideas
> what could be locking up my machine seems i had 4 or 5 lockups in the past
> day and half the caps lock and the other two lights start blinking and we
> cant type anything on the keyboard then have to reboot so looking for some
> ideas what might be doing this we seen this before happen but when it
> happen before it maybe did it once and after reboot then ok but this time
> seems to be more
> thanks for any info
> Bob

The blinking keyboard LEDs usually indicates a kernel panic. Your challenge is
to figure out what its panicing on. Check log files for any indications of
problems. Check Ctrl+Alt+F10 to see if errors are appearing before the
lockup.

Bad hardware can cause this such as a failing harddrive, a power supply that
is going bad, bad RAM, etc. It could be that last bit of software you
added/updated and is now causing a conflict. You indicate its happened in the
past but is now more frequent. This is most often a hardware problem just
before absolute failure.

Stan