More on mounting cf cards / cameras / stability of konq 3.2.2
  • From: Fergus Wilde <fwilde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:52:38 +0100

Sorry if that subject line appears to be mashing things together, they may be
related.

I've now tried to get a cf card to mount using a usb card reader on two 9.1
machines, fully patched including kernel patches, and upgraded to kde 3.2.2.
I've also tried to get both to recognise a camera attached by USB, which works
fine under 8.2 and 9.0.

Rather like Art Fore's problems with a firewire hd, I get a 'cant enter
folder' message, or sometimes no message at all. Though at least ARt seems to
be able to get to part of his disk. SuSEplugger can see the cf disk as a
disk in at least some cases, and sometimes a Konq window opens. The camera
gets assigned a directory like:

file:/media/usb-storage-odd-NIKON-NIKONDSCD70:0:0:0p1

but you can't change into it or list it. The konqueror window dies after a
while and has to be closed down. I've had the same with trying to launch
things like the bbc radio listen-on-line service, which again worked fine in
8.2 and 9.0. I'm also reading huge load averages on one of the machines
during, though not necessarily due to, this business - loads like 8.5. But
top only shows one or two running processes that don't seem to account for
that sort of load, and are typically X and top itself.

For a lark, I tried booting the machine with the camera plugged in and
switched on, but this produced a grub error message and the box wouldn't
boot. It also seems to rather defeat the point of USB if one has to reboot -
not that things worked then either.

I think something is quite odd in the new mounting system, but don't know
where to try to fix things. I can't say I think much of the 'My computer'
window, much as it may be trying to make windows users feel at home, at my
end it just seemed to obscure the device names. I'd be very grateful if
people could report success or failure with cf cards and cameras under 9.1,
perhaps to me rather than the list, and then I'll summarise if there's enough
traffic to warrant it.

--
Fergus Wilde
Chetham's Library