Re: [SLE] Etherlink III critical bug in 9.1
  • From: Pieter Hulshoff <phulshof@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 12:34:27 +0200
On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 10:58:12AM +0100, Fergus Wilde wrote:
> On known-good hardware, which has co-operated flawlessly with all SuSE
> versions from 6.2-9.0, 9.1 can't find its 3com Etherlink III network card on
> boot. The message 'waiting for mandatory device' appears, then a 15 second
> countdown, then 'failed'. When booted, ifconfig only knows about lo0.

Don't worry, I have the same problem with 2 different ethernet port chipsets
on my 2 SuSE 9.1 machines, so it's not really related to your particular
hardware. I haven't figured out exactly what's responsible for this, but I
to intend to have a look at this soon. On my machine, this boot problem
happens once every so many boots, so not every time I boot I have this
problem.

Regards,

Pieter Hulshoff