Re: [SLE] cron email
  • From: John Lalla <john.lalla@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 21:45:13 -0700 (PDT)
On 11 May, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * John Lalla <john.lalla@xxxxxxx> [05-10-04 23:41]:
>> On 10 May, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
>> >
>> > Why don't you just run one instance of fetchmail and include the
>> > multiple accounts in your fetchmailrc. Seems like there would be
>> > considerable less system overhead and complexity. You *do* realize
>> > that this is plausible?
>> >
>> Unfortunately, all household members use the same pop server. I tried
>> such a setup and it wouldn't work. Hence, cron, fetchmail and procmail
>> all drawing on individual rc files.
>>
>> If you know of a better way, please tell. Although, my present setup
>> seems to be working with no hitches.
>

> example .fetchmailrc: (this works, I use something similar
>

> set logfile "~/.procmail/fetchmail.log"
> set postmaster "your_mail"
> set bouncemail
> set spambounce
> set properties "v"
> set daemon 150
>
> poll pop.centralr.cox.net with proto POP3 timeout 60
> user 'user1' there with password 'passwd1' is '1user' here options fetchall stripcr
> mda '/usr/lib/sendmail -i -oem -f %F %T'
> antispam 571 550 501 554
> user 'user2' there with password 'passwd2' is '2user' here options fetchall stripcr
> mda '/usr/lib/sendmail -i -oem -f %F %T'
> antispam 571 550 501 554
> user 'user3' there with password 'passwd3' is '3user' here options fetchall stripcr
> mda '/usr/lib/sendmail -i -oem -f %F %T'
> antispam 571 550 501 554
> user 'user4' there with password 'passwd4' is '4user' here options fetchall stripcr
> mda '/usr/lib/sendmail -i -oem -f %F %T'
> antispam 571 550 501 554
> user 'user5' there with password 'passwd5' is '5user' here options fetchall stripcr
> mda '/usr/lib/sendmail -i -oem -f %F %T'
> antispam 571 550 501 554
>
> poll imap.myrealbox.com with proto IMAP timeout 45
> user 'user6' there with password 'passwd6' is '6user' here options fetchall stripcr ssl
> mda '/usr/lib/sendmail -i -oem -f %F %T'
> antispam 571 550 501 554
> user 'user7' there with password 'passwd7' is '7user' here options fetchall stripcr ssl
> mda '/usr/lib/sendmail -i -oem -f %F %T'
> antispam 571 550 501 554
>
> poll mail.messagingengine.com with proto IMAP timeout 45
> user 'user8@xxxxxxxxxxx' there with password 'passwd8' is '8user' here options fetchall stripcr ssl
> mda '/usr/lib/sendmail -i -oem -f %F %T'
> antispam 571 550 501 554

Patrick,

Many thanks for the recipe. I see your point in its simplicity. My
teenage daughter isn't happy sharing her password with me, so I guess I
won't tell her I have full access to her directory ;). My eleven year
old son, however, thinks it's really funny - although he also understand
the logic. He's been running GNU/Linux most of his life, while she has
little interest - save chatting with her friends.

The only glitch I've noticed is that my mail filtering setup no longer
distinguishes between myself as user and as root. I have root's mail
forwarded to me as a user, of course, and filtering is set to recognize
email (To|From) root and deposit it in a selected mbox. While this
continues to work, any mail I send myself is now deposited in root's
mbox as well. I assume this is due to my alias.

:0
* ^(From|To).*root
livingston

Oh well, this slight inconvenience aside, running fetchmail in daemon
mode does seem practical. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Regards,

--

John Lalla
Santa Barbara, CA

.~. _
/v\ -o)
no gates... /( )\ /\\ running GNU/Linux
no windows! ^^^^^ _\_v free at last!

"Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know. The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . . "