Re: [SLE] floppy format?
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 02:28:45 +0200
On Wednesday 12 May 2004 02.18, Stephen W wrote:
> Well, I am learning... and formating floppies is one
> thing I am working on ... (oops, excuse that
> preposition at the end of a sentence) :)
>
> Here is what I got from the shell command (a little
> humor and an unuseable command)
>
> winstephen@linux:~> format /dev/floppy
> Error: The DOS concept of formatting disk media is
> screwed.
> If you want to create a filesystem use "mkfs".
> To format a floppy, use
> "fdformat /dev/fd0" and then "mkfs.minix
> /dev/fd0".
> winstephen@linux:~> fdformat /dev/fd0 | mkfs.minix
> /dev/fd0

Oh, don't use | there. the pipe will take the output from the command before
the sign and use it as input to the command after. While it might not do any
harm in this particular case, it's probably not what you want to do.

If you want to have two commands on the same line, use && to separate them.

> bash: mkfs.minix: command not found
> winstephen@linux:~> fdformat /dev/fd0
> Double-sided, 80 tracks, 18 sec/track. Total capacity
> 1440 kB.
> Formatting ...
>
> When I tried to do the mkfs.minix .dev.fd0 as a stand
> alone I got the same error message:
>
> command not found... and the shell told me to do it.

I know it says that, but it's not a very good suggestion, unless you're only
going to use the floppy in linux systems. If you want the disk to be readable
in a windows machine, you want to use

/sbin/mkfs.msdos /dev/fd0

But if you have the floppy disk icon on your desktop, you can also just
right-click on it and select Actions->format