floppy format?
  • From: Stephen W <winstephen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 17:18:20 -0700 (PDT)
Well, I am learning... and formating floppies is one
thing I am working on ... (oops, excuse that
preposition at the end of a sentence) :)

Here is what I got from the shell command (a little
humor and an unuseable command)

winstephen@linux:~> format /dev/floppy
Error: The DOS concept of formatting disk media is
screwed.
If you want to create a filesystem use "mkfs".
To format a floppy, use
"fdformat /dev/fd0" and then "mkfs.minix
/dev/fd0".
winstephen@linux:~> fdformat /dev/fd0 | mkfs.minix
/dev/fd0
bash: mkfs.minix: command not found
winstephen@linux:~> fdformat /dev/fd0
Double-sided, 80 tracks, 18 sec/track. Total capacity
1440 kB.
Formatting ...

When I tried to do the mkfs.minix .dev.fd0 as a stand
alone I got the same error message:

command not found... and the shell told me to do it.
What is happening? What did I do wrong?

Thanks

=====
Stephen W
Sarasota, FL

"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine ..." Proverbs