Re: [SLE] Sadly going back
  • From: Brad Shelton <bshelton@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 15:02:00 -0400
On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 14:41, L. Mark Stone wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 May 2004 02:19 pm, Brad Shelton wrote:
> | I tried... but I can't stand the heat.
> |
> | I am reformatting the 9.1 system and putting 9.0 on it instead. 9.1
> | is just too much for me at the moment.
>
> Brad,
>
> Don't feel bad; I went back to 8.2 (with KDE 3.2.2) because 9.0 didn't
> support my Adaptec/DPT SCSI RAID controller properly. The driver for
> the RAID controller (dpt_i2o.o) wasn't even included in the 9.1
> evaluation CD, so I have no idea if the regression(s) introduced in 9.0
> were fixed in 9.1 or not.
>
> To me it seems that 9.1 has a few more serious issues than the SuSE 8.x
> releases; at least based on my memory and the number of posts here on
> this list.
>
> When it was first released, I happily bought the full boxed version of
> 9.0 Pro (it's now shelfware), but I think I'll wait for 9.2 before
> buying another retail box.
>
> As for our clients, one is about to start a SLOX implementation, and for
> another where we are rebuilding an NT4 domain and hp servers with
> Samba, we will likely use 8.2 Professional instead of 9.x as the base
> OS.

That makes sense. I have recommended 8.2 to my customers as well, as
that is the version I use for my office sytems. It is the most stable
SuSE version I can recall.

I got frustrated with 9.1 trying to get cups and samba working. THen it
started installing 733MB of BS dependancies... that's when I said,
"That's it! Off it goes!! Where's my 9.0 CD for network install...". The
network install at least works with 9.0. It didn't for me with 9.1.

--
Brad Shelton On Line Exchange http://www.ole.net
Phone: 313-526-1111 Fax: 313-526-3333