Re: [SLE] Sadly going back
  • From: "L. Mark Stone" <LMStone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 14:41:27 -0400
On Tuesday 11 May 2004 02:19 pm, Brad Shelton wrote:
| I tried... but I can't stand the heat.
|
| I am reformatting the 9.1 system and putting 9.0 on it instead. 9.1
| is just too much for me at the moment.

Brad,

Don't feel bad; I went back to 8.2 (with KDE 3.2.2) because 9.0 didn't
support my Adaptec/DPT SCSI RAID controller properly. The driver for
the RAID controller (dpt_i2o.o) wasn't even included in the 9.1
evaluation CD, so I have no idea if the regression(s) introduced in 9.0
were fixed in 9.1 or not.

To me it seems that 9.1 has a few more serious issues than the SuSE 8.x
releases; at least based on my memory and the number of posts here on
this list.

When it was first released, I happily bought the full boxed version of
9.0 Pro (it's now shelfware), but I think I'll wait for 9.2 before
buying another retail box.

As for our clients, one is about to start a SLOX implementation, and for
another where we are rebuilding an NT4 domain and hp servers with
Samba, we will likely use 8.2 Professional instead of 9.x as the base
OS.

Best regards,
Mark

A Message From... L. Mark Stone