Re: [SLE] Help w/Samba Setup - SOLVED (sort of)
  • From: Donald Henson <wepin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 10:37:59 -0600
On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 10:13, Donald Henson wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 20:37, John Andersen wrote:
> > On Monday 10 May 2004 13:00, Donald Henson wrote:
> > > I've got SuSE Linux 9.1 running on a laptop which is on a local network
> > > with my Linux fileserver (running SuSE Linux 9.0) and a Windows XP
> > > workstation. I have been using Samba (Version 2.x?) to set up my shares.
> > > Everything has been working okay. Apparently, 9.1 uses Samba 3.0. I can
> > > publish shares and can access the 9.1 shares. However, when I try to
> > > access shares on other machines from my laptop (9.1), I have to log in.
> > > Sometimes I have to log in multiple times. My existing system lets any
> > > user access any share without a login and that's the way I want my
> > > laptop to work. I've tried setting various Samba parameters and have
> > > looked at file permissions but nothing I try seems to work. I even tried
> > > RTFM. I think I may just be too close to the problem. Any pointers on
> > > what to try next will be sincerely appreciated.
> > >
> > > Don Henson
> >
> > Why not use swat? Did they disable that in 3.0?
> > Its on the globals page, security option.
>
> I've never used swat so I don't know if it's still available or not.
> since I've been using SuSE Linux, starting with 9.0, YAST has done
> everything I needed to do with Samba configuration.
> >
> > Previously, The default security = user, as this was the most common setting
> > needed when talking to Windows 98 and Windows NT.
>
> Checked [global]. security = user as you suspected.
> >
> > The alternatives are security = share, security = server or security =
> > domain .
> >
> > In versions of Samba prior to 2.0.0, the default was security = share mainly
> > because that was the only option at one stage.
>
> I temporarily changed security = share. (I remembered to restart samba.)
> It didn't seem to make any difference so I changed it back. I still get
> asked for a password even if I've been in that share before.
> >
> > I now suspect server = user is the default. But once you feed it
> > a password, it should remember it and log in with that next time.
>
> I looked in the /etc/samba/smbpasswd file before and after the above
> changes. Nothing changed in that file. There is a note in the file
> saying that if you want to use it, you have to set "encrypt passwords =
> yes in the [global] section of /etc/smb.conf". However, there is no
> /etc/smb.conf. There's an /etc/samba/smb.conf and "encrypt passwords =
> yes" is set in that file. I'm starting to wonder if SuSE changed the
> location of smb.conf but didn't make all the required changes elsewhere.
> I'm not smart enough to confirm that, though. Any further thoughts?

No, that's not it. I looked in a 9.0 system and the smb.conf is in
/etc/samba on that system as well. On the plus side, it seems as though
I don't have to enter as many passwords as earlier so maybe the system
is slowly learning. Anyway, let's terminate this thread and I'll try
some stuff on my own. If I still have problems, I'll start a new thread.
Thanks for the assist.

Don Henson