Re: [SLE] Determine the installed bootloader ?
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 09:24:26 -0400
On Tuesday 11 May 2004 09:14 am, Marshall Heartley wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > True enough, but what I am tring to solve is different:
> > Rebooting a remote (very remote!) server, that has an unknown bootloader,
> > after a kernel upgrade. So I must know wether I have to run LILO or not.
> > Both Packages are installed. See the problem ?
>
> You can query the rpm database and see which one is installed. Or you
> can use pin. You can see if grub is on this machine by looking in the
> /boot directory.
>
> If grub is used, there should be a directory called grub inside the
> /boot directory. You can also check for a menu.lst file which to my
> knowledge is only used with grub.
>
> Maybe some of the above helps some. I would try using rpm or pin before
> looking in directories.
>
> Marshall

That's not definitive.... I have grub and lilo on some of my machines and
thus, all of the things you mention above. Sometimes it's really hard to
tell without booting and knowing what to look for.

As I said in another email, one surefire way is to try to use grub's editing
features at boot time.

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 05/11/04 09:23 +
"A man lives by believing in something, not by debating and arguing about
many things." - Thomas Carlyle