Re: [SLE] cron email
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 06:49:05 -0400
On Monday 10 May 2004 10:17 pm, John Lalla wrote:
> On 10 May, David Rankin wrote:
> > Jim,
> >
> > Why are you using cron?? Just start fetchmail in daemon mode and it
> > will do what you want:
> >
> > [root@Nemesis david]# fetchmail -f /etc/fetchmailrc
> > [root@Nemesis david]# cat /etc/fetchmailrc
> > set daemon 600
> > set postmaster david
> > set logfile /var/log/fetchmail.log
> > poll pop.cox-internet.com proto pop3 user me.cox-internet.com pass
> > thepassword is david here
> >

> > --
> > David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
> > RANKIN * BERTIN, PLLC
> > 510 Ochiltree Street
> > Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
> > (936) 715-9333
> > (936) 715-9339 fax
> > www.rankin-bertin.com
> > --

Not unless you *really* *really* have to allow each user to have their
own .fetchmailrc. You can do it all in one /etc/.fetchmailrc with a lot
less hassel.

(running 6 accts here on a home LAN)

> As follows (assuming you're polling a POP account):
>
> ~/.crontab --
>
> */5 * * * * /usr/bin/fetchmail -s -f /home/joeblow/.fetchmailrc
>
> ~/.fetchmailrc --
>
> poll <your isp> with proto POP3 user 'joeblow' there with pass
> 'whatever' is 'joeblow' here mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d %s'
>
> ~/.procmailrc of each users choice (I have ~/.proc.. calling four
> additional scripts for mail handling as well).
>
> To my mind, the beauty of *nix, single apps that do one thing well - in
> conjuction with others, of course.
>
> Just my two cents.

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 05/11/04 06:46 +
"Eloquence: Saying the proper thing and stopping." --Stanley Link