Re: [SLE] Upgrade KDE
  • From: Fergus Wilde <fwilde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 11:29:41 +0100
On Monday 10 May 2004 14:51, Bryan Feeney wrote:
> > How can i update kde to latest version 3.2 using YOU (YAST) ???
>
> I don't actually think you can. YOU is there to maintain the versions of
> the software you have installed, it will only apply patches, it won't
> upgrade. This is great for administrators, but a bit crap for us home
> users!
>
> I'm afraid the best I can recommend is to go to the KDE part of the SuSE
> download site and download all the RPMs with some sort of a download
> manager and then try to install them manually. I'd download them all
> into one directory, enter it, and type rpm -Uvh *.rpm

Well, I'd recommend using rpm -Fvh. -F freshens the installed packages, -U
installs all the rpms you run it over, irrespective of whether they're
present in an earlier version. This means you may bloat the system and run
into more dependency flak than necessary.

To get the files, cd to where you want to store them, ftp to your local SuSE
mirror, cd to the relevant directory:

ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/supplementary/KDE/update_for_9.1/

cd to base. Do
bin
hash
prom
Which will ftp the files as binary, print hashes to the screen so you get an
idea of life/death, and turn off interactive prompting for each file so you
don't have to keep intervening.

Then do

mget *.rpm

When done in base, cd to applications and get that, and if you are maintaining
a development system do the same for the development directory.

Having assembled these have a go with rpm -Fvh *.rpm. On a machine with no
development rpms installed it went completely smoothly, but on a machine with
the dev rpms installed there were two library dependency conflicts.

HTH
Fergus

--
Fergus Wilde