9.1 mounting of cf disks and cameras
  • From: Fergus Wilde <fwilde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 10:57:34 +0100

Hello All,

A nice result from the painless install of 9.1 to report here.

As usual, of course, it's the minor concerns that come up, so in my case one
is that while the camera (Nikon D70) that I need to connect performs
perfectly on SuSE 8.2 (disk is recognised as /dev/sda1 and an icon appears on
the desktop when the camera is switched on, disappears again when off), the
same isn't true in 9.1. The new magic mount thingy cuts in OK, and opens a
Konqueror window labelled /media/usb-mass-something-Nikon, but then it barfs
and says it 'can't enter' the directory. An ls from a terminal complains 'no
media found'.

Given this all worked in 8.2, anyone else having a similar problem, found a
solution, can suggest one?

Can one invoke the 'old' usb mounting pattern somehow?

Anyone got a thought on whether the fact that I've installed an Adaptec 21960N
SCSI card and two SCSI hard drives might have caused the problem (I mean a
thought that doesn't consist of taking said kit out and re-installing on
IDE)? I was wondering if a 'real' sda and sdb might confuse its tiny brain.

I need to do picture work on the machine, so it will be a fairly major PITA
not to have the camera recognised.

Best
Fergus

--