Re: [SLE] cron email
  • From: John Lalla <john.lalla@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 19:17:49 -0700 (PDT)
On 10 May, David Rankin wrote:
> Jim,
>
> Why are you using cron?? Just start fetchmail in daemon mode and it will
> do what you want:
>
> [root@Nemesis david]# fetchmail -f /etc/fetchmailrc
> [root@Nemesis david]# cat /etc/fetchmailrc
> set daemon 600
> set postmaster david
> set logfile /var/log/fetchmail.log
> poll pop.cox-internet.com proto pop3 user me.cox-internet.com pass
> thepassword is david here
>

> --
> David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
> RANKIN * BERTIN, PLLC
> 510 Ochiltree Street
> Nacogdoches, Texas 75961
> (936) 715-9333
> (936) 715-9339 fax
> www.rankin-bertin.com
> --

Running fetchmail in daemon mode is all well and good, but if one is
running multiple accounts, each wanting their own mail checked whether
logged in or not, cron is the way to go to my mind.

As follows (assuming you're polling a POP account):

~/.crontab --

*/5 * * * * /usr/bin/fetchmail -s -f /home/joeblow/.fetchmailrc

~/.fetchmailrc --

poll <your isp> with proto POP3 user 'joeblow' there with pass
'whatever' is 'joeblow' here mda "/usr/bin/procmail -d %s'

~/.procmailrc of each users choice (I have ~/.proc.. calling four
additional scripts for mail handling as well).

To my mind, the beauty of *nix, single apps that do one thing well - in
conjuction with others, of course.

Just my two cents.
--

John Lalla
Santa Barbara, CA

.~. _
/v\ -o)
no gates... /( )\ /\\ running GNU/Linux
no windows! ^^^^^ _\_v free at last!

"Our capacity for understanding is inversely proportional to how much we
think we know. The more I know, the more I know I don't know . . . "