Re: [SLE] 9.1 and CD drive.....again!
  • From: Marshall Heartley <marshall.heartley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 18:34:05 -0400

> I did my upgrade today FROM 9.0. There were a number of dependancy problems,
> but got rid of them when I told Yast to delete Gimp and Gaim. All seems to be
> well, EXCEPT (once again - a CONTINUAL problem for Linux) getting the CD-RW
> drive to work. KDE didn't come up with a CD icon, so I had to create it.
> Fstab does have the two lines (/dev/cdrom * /dev/cdrecorder) listed.

Sorry that you are having issues. New in 9.1 SuSE is using supermount
to mount the cd and floppy drives. The icons should be found in My
Computer. Supermount is supposed to eliminate the use of mounting CDs
and floppies.

> I can't read any disk, the system tells me it's mounted as /media/cdrecorder,
> but ls reports that there's no medium in the drive. YES, the system does
> correctly identify the drive, and I installed from that drive, plus Yast can
> use it to install additional software.

How are you trying to read it? If supermount is working correctly, all
you have to do is cd to the directory that the drive will mount to. Ex
cd /media/cdrecorder.

Marshall