Help w/Samba Setup
  • From: Donald Henson <wepin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 15:00:47 -0600
I've got SuSE Linux 9.1 running on a laptop which is on a local network
with my Linux fileserver (running SuSE Linux 9.0) and a Windows XP
workstation. I have been using Samba (Version 2.x?) to set up my shares.
Everything has been working okay. Apparently, 9.1 uses Samba 3.0. I can
publish shares and can access the 9.1 shares. However, when I try to
access shares on other machines from my laptop (9.1), I have to log in.
Sometimes I have to log in multiple times. My existing system lets any
user access any share without a login and that's the way I want my
laptop to work. I've tried setting various Samba parameters and have
looked at file permissions but nothing I try seems to work. I even tried
RTFM. I think I may just be too close to the problem. Any pointers on
what to try next will be sincerely appreciated.

Don Henson