Re: [SLE] common backup strategy
  • From: user86 <user86@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 14:37:41 -0400
On Monday 10 May 2004 12:51, Michael George wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 04:34:00PM +0000, pinto wrote:
> > On Monday 10 May 2004 13:57, Michael George wrote:
> > > Then for a long time I
> > > didn't have to worry about tape backups.  Do simple stuff with home and
> > > work machines, Zip disks, etc.
> >
> > ____________________________
> >
> > ~ just my mileage . . .
> >
> > ~ use cron, to back up every hour, to a separate partition.
> >
> > ~ my system is about 5,2 gig ~ <rync> backup usually takes about 5
> > minutes.
>
> Yes, rsync is going to be a part of the plan, but this type of backup does
> not allow us to go back a day, week, or more. That is why we need the
> archival qualities of tape.
>
> Thanks for your input!

Actually, the rsync method does let you go back up a day, a week or a few
weeks if given enough space.
http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/
has a guide to using rsync to make automated snapshot-style backups.

"they create the illusion of multiple, full backups per day without the space
or processing overhead. All of the snapshots are read-only, and are
accessible directly by users as special system directories. It is often
possible to store several hours, days, and even weeks' worth of snapshots
with slightly more than 2x storage."

< Previous Next >