SUSE 9.0 Pro - Mounting original filesystems in rescue system
  • From: Fred Doe <fred.doe@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 14:14:23 -0400
There's nothing wrong with the system. Just testing rescue system drill (floppy) in suse 9.0 professional.

Standard PC, single IDE drive ... GRUB install. Default install/partitioning.

fstab entry for "/" is /dev/hda3, type is reiserfs

Disks are created, rescue system is booted. I'm at the root rescue console. I only, as I understand it (or is that don't understand it?) need to mount the original filesystems to a mount point as in something resembling
"mount /dev/hda3 /someplace"

I'm obviously missing something.

My "best guess" command of "mount -t reiserfs /dev/hda3 /mnt" returns "no device found"

The generic command "mount /dev/hda3 /mnt" shows an attempt to mount an ext2 and minix type ... which fails, as I would expect. It recognizes my IDE controller, but doesn't find what it wants. ("VFS: Can't find ext2 filesystem on ide0(3,3)") At least it confirms the controller.

Do I need to edit files in the recovery system first? More arguments to mount command?

I did create the /mnt directory, as it doesn't exist by default. I also tried mounting to other directories.

thanks
fred