common backup strategy
  • From: Michael George <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 09:57:15 -0400
Well, this is going to be a brain-dead question to most of you, but I hope I
can get some good direction for the answer...

Way Back when I was a college sys admin (as a student), we used dump for
incremental backups and "restore -i" for recovery. Then for a long time I
didn't have to worry about tape backups. Do simple stuff with home and work
machines, Zip disks, etc.

Now I'm going tape backups again for two companies. I have been using dump
and restore (worked before, what the heck...) and they have been working fine.

Then I found out that dump is filesystem specific (ext2/3 for the versions I'm
using as of late) and that they are not reliable. That they can work fine a
thousand times but there are deficiencies that will cause them to fail.
Eventually it will bite me.

So, I am looking again for a backup plan. I want one generic, as the two
places I'm worried about are rather small and I don't know that we're ready to
be locked into a fancy solution -- yet.

cpio and tar seem popular and either will probably work okay. What I am
looking for is some type of document/advice which gives a brief outline of
unix-tool backup strategies like whether find/cpio are more amenable to
incremental backup than tar and if tar is more amenable to viewing the
contents of the tape should the index file be lost, etc.

I am quite at home with unix command line tools and script-writing. But I
would like to try to take advantage of the exiting knowledge of the modern
linux community to save me some time in research.

BTW, we already have a RAID on the one system and the other is less-critical
and doesn't need a RAID. We also already have the tapes and drives. So HDD
vs. tape vs. CD/DVD backups is not the issue. I'm just looking at the options
for the mechanics of doing the tape backup.

Thank you so much!

--
-M

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.