Re: [SLE] Cyrus question: How to delete directories
  • From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <bb+shared.it.lists.suse-e@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 15:41:33 +0000
Quoting Jim Sabatke <jsabatke@xxxxxxxxxx>:

Jim,

I'm sorry for your receiving this again, but I'm very slow today. :-( In the
meanwhile, I've found one or two typos.

> I got cyrus running on one box. (woohoo)
>
> My problem, until I stumbled on the proper sequence for creating
> mailboxes and users, and where the files went, I created some mailboxes
> in cyradm in the /var/spool/imap directory. Nothing will ever go to
> those mailboxes.
>
> The problem is. for some reason, those folders show up in all users'
> mailbox directory listing. If I delete them manually, they still show
> up, but with errors.

Yes, they should! Cyrus uses a mailbox file to cache the mailboxes available in
a system. By default that file is stored in a Berkeley db file. If you do a
grep "mailbox" /var/lib/imap/mailboxes.db , you should find a reference to that
mailbox. When you manually delete the folder, you're not updating that file!
You should use the reconstruct command to do that. However, it seems that since
version 2.0.x, reconstruct can't recreate the mailboxes file. Look at man
reconstruct, and not man mailboxes.

> I want them to go away. Anyone know how?

First, you can hide them from your users by reviewing their permissions. Since
you've used cyradm to create them, probably as cm "username", instead of cm
user."username" as you've undoubtedly found out, they weren't created as user's
boxes and thus inherited the default permissions defined in /etc/imapd.conf. If
you didn't change their default configuration, each of these mailboxes ACL is
set to anyone lrs. Therefore to hide them from everyone you could just do dam
mailbox anyone. That doesn't solve the inconsistency in your system, but hides
the folders from the users. I would recommend that in the future you use the dm
command from cryadm to delete any mailbox.

> BTW, I can share the mailbox creation process with anyone who needs it.
> It doesn't seem to be documented anywhere that I could find.

I don't know if your comment applies only to the creation of mailboxes or if it
applies to cyrus as a whole. However, I'll say that cyrus is very flexible and
can be used in a multitude of environments, thus it's documentation tends to be
general and not too specific. In my experience however, where it lacks most is
in the specific authentication backends implementation using SASL and in the
use of groups. Cyradm is very well documented and even includes an in-line help
command to clarify most doubts. Since cyradm is implemented in PERL, if you
want to, you can even automate its use through PERL.
If you're using the SuSE included cyrus package, you may be lacking the
cyrusdocumentation. Take a look at their site
http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/imapd/
and better yet download their latest releases from
ftp://ftp.andrew.cmu.edu/pub/cyrus-mail/ in which you'll find all documentation
inside the doc directory. There's also a great how-to by Luc de Louw available
at http://www.delouw.ch/linux/Postfix-Cyrus-Web-cyradm-HOWTO/html/ and if you
search google for cyrus howto you may find something to satisfy your taste! ;-)