Re: [SLE] tar restore file ownership
  • From: "Ken Schneider" <suselist@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 21:48:00 -0400

> I have discovered that some of my tar archives do not have permission
> info
> for directories, only for files; whereas some other tar archives have
> the
> info complete. One of the incomplete tars was made by Yast backup of
> suse
> 7.1 or 7.3
>
> For example, when I extract a tree, I get:
>
> .../home/ root:root
> .../home/cer/ root:root (instead of cer:users)
> .../home/cer/file cer:users
> .../home/bin/ root:root (instead of cer:users)
> .../home/bin/script cer:users
>

> So, if the original tar did not save the permission information at that
> time (years ago) there is nothing I can do now to recover them.
>
> But I don't understand why some tar archives I did have it and some
> don't.

As you said it was some years ago and may have the options used at that
time. I have been using tar/dump for many years always used

tar cvf <some file or tape drive> <file list> and never had a problem, as
far as I can remember with perms/owners not being saved. Some options will
muck them up when saving with tar.

Ken

< Previous Next >