Re: Upgrade 9.0-9.1 Successful! [Was: Upgrade 9.0 -> 9.1 went totally wrong]
  • From: dmc <kd4e@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 21:26:24 -0400
Just ran the 9.0 to 9.1 Upgrade "by the numbers" from the
manual on my daughter's PC.

Other than taking forever (3+ hours) to load on her somewhat long-in-the-tooth hand-me-down 450MHz-CPU 128M-RAM PC everything
went smoothly, other than the network connection.

Her PC connects via CAT-5 to a Netgear WGR614v2 router
that then ties into the DSL modem.

Oddly, I can access the Internet fine but cannot see
the other two SuSE 9 PC's on the same router.

As for those who are criticizing this release as
imperfect -- I have been using computers for 30 years
and have never seen a flawless OS release from any
vendor -- IBM, DEC, Apple, M$, or the various Linux
distros. Welcome to the imperfect world, and the
reality that competition sometimes drives the
schedule just a wee bit ahead of the preferences of
software engineers and the QC folks.

IMHO, YMMV ... doc