Re: [SLE] ATI 3D Card but no 3D acceleration possible??
  • From: Gerhard den Hollander <gerhard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 20:13:27 +0200
* Martin Mielke <martin.mielke@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Thu, May 06, 2004 at 05:28:30PM +0200)

You got a rage mobilty 8M card ?

>>>I just discovered that the (rather old) laptop I'm using has an ATI
>>>3D Rage P/M Mobility AGP 2x graphics card but oddly it's not possible
>>>to activate the 3D acceleration, according to SaX2 under SuSE 9.0 Pro

>>I am no expert here but I found that with 2 of my computers using
>>ATI Radeon cards, I had to manually edit /etc/X11/XF86Config and add
>>Load "dri" to the modules section

Yes, but this does not work for the radeon.

However if you google around a bnit you should be able to find sme patches
from the guys who did the Utah-GLX bit for Xf3.
(I seem to remember the name of Gareth Hughes )

Im using those on a gateway solo laptop, and have been able to play quake3
with acceptable performance on that card

Looking through my bookmakrs, I think I got them from this site:
http://www.retinalburn.net/linux/

It takes some fiddling and twisting to get it to work correctly, but once
it works, it has been (for me at least) pretty stable.

There is a good howto at:
http://dri.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/Building

but it does probably require some experience with kernel building and such

I've even been able to run our own 3D visualisation software using that
driver ;)

Good luck

Currently listening to: tsp1996-12-09d1t07

Gerhard, (faliquid@xxxxxxxxx) == The Acoustic Motorbiker ==
--
__0 And when you kill a man, you're a murderer
=`\<, Kill many, and you're a conqueror

< Previous Next >