Re: [SLE] Samba Share - Access Denied
  • From: James Mohr <suse_mailing_list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 19:40:20 +0200
On Thursday 06 May 2004 18:51, Dan Weisenstein wrote:
> I have set up a new samba share on my machine. Using YaST, I setup
> /home/share
> as a shared directory. From a Windows machine, I can get to the
> directory and
> see the contents. However, if I try to write to the share, I get Access
> Denied. I
> own the directory and it's set to 777. I can get to and write to my home
> dir,
> /home/dan, with no problems. This is the relevant part of smb.conf:
<SNIP>

Hi Dan!

The log files are your friends. I have used them many times to fix Samba
problems. In /etc/init.d/smb, set debugging way up:

startproc -p ${PID_FILE} ${DAEMON_DIR}${BIN_SUFFIX}/${SMBD_BIN} -D -d 9 -s
${SMB_CONF}

Maybe -d 5 would be enough, but I always go overboard. Then check /var/log/
samba/log.smbd.

I just set up an XP system for my son with a Samba directory like this:

[music]
comment = All Data
path = /data3/Music
read only = No
create mask = 0640
directory mask = 0750
browseable = No
valid users = jimmo,beldaniel

Maybe trying coping the home directory share 1:1 just to see if that works. Do
you have an explicite share for /home/dan or are you using [homes]? If so,
does an explicite share work?

Sorry, I don't have an immediate answer, but I am sure the debugging in the
log files will get you closer.

Regards,

jimmo
--
"Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation. Your