Re: [SLE] Mac OSX clients can't talk to my SuSE9 Server
  • From: Ben Rosenberg <ben@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 10:00:31 -0700
* Ermanno Polli (ermanno.polli@xxxxxxxxxxx) [040506 01:56]:
>Stuart Powell wrote:
>
>>OK, I'm willing to entertain this notion. Does that mean OSX has a
>>built in NFS client ? Will this setup fully support Mac file resource
>>forks ?
>>

>They already told you Mac OSX has BSD under the skin.
>
>BSD, like all the other OS, doesn't have the two-forks notion. If you
>transfer a Mac OS9 style file with NFS (or FTP, or scp, or whatever
>transfer files out of OSX), you loose the resource fork.
>For that you need Appletalk.

Or you could just make the directory on the server an NFS export and
have the OSX machines mount it at boot over the network as if it was a
local drive. Then if you copy the file via the finder then it WILL copy
everything that's needed. If your using ftp or scp then just have the
person use stuffit to compress the files together and this will get
everything that's needed to make the files usable on any other Mac.

--
"There is no need to teach that stars can fall out of the sky
and land on a flat Earth in order to defend religious faith."