suseconfig overview
  • From: Jeremy Gardner <suse@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 10:07:46 -0600 (MDT)

Howdy,

I'm new to Suse, currently running 9.0. I'm building a basic web/email
server with apache, procmail, courier imap, etc. I'm trying to get a
handle on how suseconfig works, what the best way to work with it is, etc.

I prefer to work with applications using their own config files, not
/etc/sysconfig/... files. I would also prefer to use the applications own
preferences for file location, configuratin, etc. However, I also enjoy a
lot of the ease and flexibility that comes with Suse's online updates. I
don't want to break that functionality by modifying various config files
myself.

If I disable suseconfig in /etc/sysconfig/suseconfig, does this disable my
ability to upgrade packages? Is doing this a no-no? Does that mean I
can't upgrade my kernel via online updates if a kernel patch becomes
available?

I know I can disable suseconfig for individual packages as well. I've
done this with apache, but haven't seen anything specific for procmail. I
see this option available in /etc/sysconfig/mail - does that disable
suseconfig for procmail too? Is it better to leave suseconfig enabled and
disable on a per-package basis?

I'm basically looking for best practices with SuSE and suseconfig,
something that allows me to take advantage of SuSE but still use the
applications via command line and editing files like I'm used to.

Thanks!!
Jeremy