Language lesson
  • From: Doug McGarrett <dmcgarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 19:53:44 -0400
To all:

In English, there are two words, "losing" and "loosing".
Many Americans and British mis-spell these words.
I would certainly not blame anyone whose native language
and schooling is not in the English language. Enlish must
be a real bitch for foreigners. On this list, the word
usually needed is "losing."

However: this lesson.

"Loosing" means to set loose, or in other words, to set free.
Loosing the dogs of war, for instance.

The verb: to loose, loosed, have loosed

"Losing", which is the word you wanted, means no longer
having access to, or having dropped along the way.

The verb: to lose, lost, have lost

They are pronounced almost the same, except a hard "s" in
loosing, and a "z" sound in lose or losing. Long "oo" sound.
In lost, a hard s, and a short o.

Please don't flame me for this; I think it is a lesson
everyone who does not know should learn. I would not write,
except that I see this every couple of days.

--doug

  • No further messages