IDE - SCSI Cloning with LVM Issue
  • From: Ron Joffe <rjoffe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 11:15:36 -0400
Looking for a bit of help:

So here is the task:

Clone an existing machine. Sounds rather straight forward. The issue is that
I'm cloning from ide to SCSI and LVM is involved. Lilo is the boot loader. I
think I have most everything correct, but when I boot the cloned machine,
vgscan is not able to locate the volume group (where the root partition is
stored), and therefor mount /.

Here is my configs:

Initial machine:
Dell Poweredge 400SC
40GB IDE Drive
SuSE Enterprise 8
Partitions:
/dev/hda1 - 50MB /boot partition
/dev/hda2 - 2GB Swap partition
/dev/hda3 - 36GB LVM partition
volume1 - LVM Volume Group
/dev/Volume1/Root LVM Logical volume for /

Clone recipient:
Dell Poweredge 600SC
73GB SCSI Drive

So here is the methodology:
1. Boot clone using a rescue disk
2. on Colone fdisk /dev/sda and create the following partitions:
/dev/sda1 - 50MB Linux partition
/dev/sda2 - 2GB Swap partition
/dev/sda3 - 36GB Linux LVM partition
3. Clone the partition data from the Initial machine to the clone machine
using dd over ssh for both /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda3
4. Run vgscan and vgchange to activate the newly cloned volume group
5. mount the new root partition and chroot to it
6. Adjust the /etc/lilo.conf file
7. Adjust the /etc/fstab file
8. mk_initrd and run lilo

When I boot, vgscan is unable to locate the volume group volume1.

Here is the lilo config file:

boot = /dev/sda
change-rules
reset
read-only
menu-scheme = Wb:kw:Wb:Wb
lba32
prompt
timeout = 80
message = /boot/message

image = /boot/vmlinuz
label = linux
root = /dev/volume1/root
vga = 791
initrd = /boot/initrd

image = /boot/vmlinuz.shipped
label = failsafe
root = /dev/volume1/root
vga = 791
initrd = /boot/initrd.shipped
append = "ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off vga=normal nosmp maxcpus=0 disableapic
3"
optional

Here is the fstab file:

/dev/sda1 /boot ext2 defaults
1 2
/dev/sda2 swap swap pri=42
0 0
/dev/volume1/root / reiserfs defaults
1 1

devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5
0 0
proc /proc proc defaults
0 0
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs noauto
0 0

/dev/cdrom /media/cdrom auto ro,noauto,user,exec
0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto noauto,user,sync
0 0

Any ideas, suggestions, things to try?

Thanks,

Ron