Re: [SLE] 486 fast enough?
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 06:58:36 -0400
Mads Martin Joergensen wrote:
* Hans du Plooy <hansdp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [May 04. 2004 23:36]:

On Tuesday 04 May 2004 20:25, Mads Martin Joergensen wrote:

NetBSD is definately the way to go here.

Would FreeBSD work as well, or is NetBSD actually faster/lighter? I thought of a minimal gentoo too - I have enough extra machines that can do distcc to make that not quite as painful and slow as it might otherwise be.

FreeBSD would still be a lot faster, but NetBSD is lighter. And I
wouldn't pay too much attention to those people suggesting Gentoo,
in the same league because it's still glibc vs. libc.so.5

You can have a complete server installation in 30-40 MB with NetBSD.

The BSD's are really excellent for bring such old hardware back to life.

Isn't OpenBSD the most secure? Perhaps it would be best for a firwall.

< Previous Next >