Re: [SLE] realtime clock probs-solved ...
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 02:45:57 +0200 (CEST)

The Tuesday 2004-05-04 at 22:43 +0200, Anders Johansson wrote:

> > No, it is not accessed at all, for many reasons. One, it is a very slow
> > access. Two, the CPU maintains its own clock, and doesn't need it.
>
> /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/kernel/time.c
>
> do_timer_interrupt()
>
> It is accessed, around once every 11 minutes it seems, though I'm not entirely
> certain under what circumstances STA_UNSYNC is set, I didn't trace it that
> deeply.

Huh? Ah, Well; it can be periodically updated, on certain circumstances:

/*
* If we have an externally synchronized Linux clock, then update
* CMOS clock accordingly every ~11 minutes. Set_rtc_mmss() has to be
* called as close as possible to 500 ms before the new second starts.
*/

That may be of use when the kernel got synchronized by ntpd, for example.

> In any case, /dev/rtc has many uses in a running system, even if not by the
> kernel itself

Of course it has :-)

> > Read my howto, it is documented there, and my sources for so saying.
>
> I only read one source.

I never read only one source for any writeup :-)

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson

< Previous Next >