Re: [SLE] 486 fast enough?
  • From: Hans du Plooy <hansdp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 23:31:02 +0200
On Tuesday 04 May 2004 20:14, S.R.Glasoe wrote:
> Does it have a "Turbo" switch and is it "on"?
Have a jumper on the board for that - the box that it's in is a bit newer.

> I'd say you need more RAM if it'll take it.
I tried sticking two more 8mb simms (72 pin) in it, but it came up with kernel
panick. I have a feeling it takes non-edo ram or something like that. I'm
not too sure, my memory of all those different types of ram are a bit hazy...

> In theory that machine should work for a firewall. I'd
> suggest one of the extremely light weight Linux distributions or the
> firewall-on-a-floppy distributions that still support 486s.
I'll definitely look into this. Just got a bunch on a recent magazine cover.

On Tuesday 04 May 2004 20:25, Mads Martin Joergensen wrote:
> NetBSD is definately the way to go here.

Would FreeBSD work as well, or is NetBSD actually faster/lighter? I thought
of a minimal gentoo too - I have enough extra machines that can do distcc to
make that not quite as painful and slow as it might otherwise be.

Thanks
--
Kind regards
Hans du Plooy