Re: Re: [SLE] AGAINST PERL & PHP
  • From: "Jerome R. Westrick" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 20:44:01 +0200
On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 19:59, Enrique Arizón wrote:
> First at all I want to excuse myself if someone felt
> offended because of my opinion about Perl.

What upset us in not so much your opinion, but the tone
of your preveous posts, which was ridiculing at the least.

Your last message shows a much better attitude, for this
I thank you, and only now allow myself to join this discussion.

I stopped counting the number of languages (compiled
interpreted, or otherwise) I've used profesionally,
but the number vastly exceeds a dozen.

Among the multitude is both Python and Perl. So I
also feel qualified to make some judgements.

Let us not forget that the only real method for handling
computer complexity is "Devide 'n Conqueror". And
therefore all debates on methodologies are really just
discussions on how best to devide; while and the discussions on
languages are on how best to conqueror.

Therefore the programming language (now placed in perspective)
is actually best defined by the problem being solved.

In this case the problem consists of typical "newbie" to moderate
scripts, (read tiny to small code snipets), written by a person trying
to master the complexity of Unix/Linux for the first time.

For such a person I would advice shell and Perl.

My reasoning is as follows:

Shell scripts
The vast majority of the code snippets of which Linux consists of are in
shell scripts. So he/she will be better able to read/understand and
thereby learn the system.

Once the person moves beyond simplest of scripts, he/she can then search
and download from the largest library of Utilities/programs/sub-routines
for Unix/Linux known to man... Yes, CPAN and Co. Using this he/she can
get a jump start at acheiving most anything desired during this beginers
phase.

As to the draw backs of Perl?
Well I don't think a beginer is going to programming huge libraries that
will become unmaintainable. Nor do I think advanced programming
techniques should be on his/her schedule at this point.

So my 2 pennies say he/she should do shell scripts and perl....
Even though I personally would use Smalltalk, Prolog, or yes....
maybe even python....

Jerry
P.S. Sorry about keeping this thread going...
I know I should not have...
But just had to do it....