USB 1.1 and 2.0 incompatibility?
  • From: Hans du Plooy <hansdp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 04:04:10 +0200
Hi all,

I'm having trouble with a brand new 128mb USB 2.0 flash drive I bought. It's
a cheap-o Super Talent Flash (www.supertalentflash.com) model STF_O_USB2.0.

The drive keeps getting corrupted. It starts with normal filesystem
corruption, usually on larger files, say 1.5mb and larger, but if I give it
some more time and usage, eventually its partition table goes haywire too.
Then I have to run fdisk, wipe all the partitions on it, create a new
partition and format it. I'm unfortunately forced to use FAT or FAT32 on it,
since it's for work where I have to work with Windows. I tried both
filesystems and it didn't make much of a difference.

Most of the machines I use have USB 1.1 controllers. Is there an issue using
USB 2.0 devices on a USB 1.1 controller? Or is this particular flash drive
just a dud?

Thanks
--
Kind regards