Re: [SLE] Still cant connect to my ISP
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 00:42:33 +0200 (CEST)

The Monday 2004-05-03 at 11:20 -0700, Damon Register wrote:

> Basil Chupin wrote:
> > It is physically not possible to connect on a dial-up connection above
> > 57600 baud - nor can data flow faster than the theoretical 57600 baud
> > simply because this is the upper limit of the beast.
> Maybe my memory isn't so great but I thought that's what they said about
> previous hurdles (9600).

No, there is a physical limit at precisely 57600 bit per second (not baud)
in north america and a few other countries (Japan?), and 64 kps elsewhere
(the ISDN speed).

The reason is that the analog signal used on the local loop side is
digitized on entry to the exchange at that rate (8 kilo samples per second
of 1 byte each). It is not possible to transmit more over any digital
transmission system designed for a precise data rate. Notice that the ISP
rack might not be placed at your local exchange, but could be at hundreds
of miles farther up: after all, once digitized, there is no degradation of
signals.

However...

It is of course possible to be faster over the wires (local loop) using
special equipment: that is, after all, what is done with ADSL, that can
reach 1 megabit per second (depending on line quality and distance).

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson

< Previous Next >